In its meeting of December 12th, 2012 the Township of the North Shore “RESOLVED THAT Council invite the Township’s immediate neighbouring community of the Serpent River First Nation to engage in a conversation regarding the Nuclear Waste Management Organization project. “
A Nuclear Waste Management Organization (NWMO) official says the group was happy to answer questions about the controversial issue at recent meetings in Prince Albert and the Whitecap Dakota Nation south of Saskatoon.
“It’s the early days of a very long process. We were pleased we had the opportunity,” said NWMO spokesman Mike Krizanc.
Three northern Saskatchewan communities – Creighton, Pinehouse and the English River First Nation – have expressed interest in hosting a nuclear waste dump known as a “deep geological repository.” They are among the 21 Canadian locations in the running. Advocates tout the economic benefits while opponents say there are safety, environmental and other concerns.
The debate over whether Saskatchewan should store nuclear waste moves to Prince Albert on Friday.
Saskatchewan is a world leader in the production of uranium, but doesn’t have any nuclear power plants or store nuclear waste.
However, the industry is looking for a region to store power plant waste deep underground and some communities in the province have expressed some interest.
CBC News – Posted: Feb 22, 2013 11:12 AM CST
The Federation of Saskatchewan Indian Nation has been given $1 million by the Nuclear Waste Management Organization to hold a series of sessions about the concept in order to gauge First Nations interest. On Thursday, Saskatoon was the venue.
The meetings were criticized by Owen Swiderski, deputy leader of the Saskatchewan Green Party, who says the FSIN appears to be one side of the issue.
“Honestly, to me it seems like they’re promoting a nuclear waste dump in Saskatchewan,” he said. “They’re saying the money will help them, but the money and jobs is not worth the destruction to the environment.”
Protesters are expected at today’s meeting in Prince Albert.
After Fukushima, many governments decided to reconsider their dealings with nuclear stuff.
It seems that nuclear waste has turned into a major problem for Germany. The news magazine Der Spiegel released on 21 February a report about Asse II– an old mine in the German state of Lower Saxony, claiming that its condition and the works being done there have turned not only into a technical, but also into ecological and political problem.
According to the article, some 126,000 barrels of nuclear waste have been dumped in the salt mine to rot over the last 50 years.
Article |February 22, 2013 – 3:26pm| By NEOnline
Currently, a project to remove the drums from the 100-year-old maze of tunnels has been going on in the mine since the exploratory drilling was launched in June last year. However, according to the magazine, the project is not only technically ambitious and bold, but also foolhardy and, most importantly, costly. It is expected to consume at least €4 billion ($5.3 billion), but more likely somewhere between €5 billion and €10 billion.
The decision to retrieve the barrels also caused a major environmental scandal: not only was the public initially informed that Asse was merely being used to “research” how radioactive waste reacts in a final repository, but it turned out that the mine has been used also as a dump for all manner of contaminated waste.
Der Spiegel also informed about the political side of the matter, saying that German politicians have agreed to enshrine the retrieval of the Asse nuclear waste in Germany’s Atomic Energy Act. According to the magazine, this was intended to speed up the highly demanding and arduous licensing process currently required by this legislation.
Moreover, as reported, the Bundestag plans to pass the bill into law before Easter, while the new law will perhaps give politicians some breathing room, and remove the issue of Asse from all the campaigning leading up to the general election scheduled for September.
Bruce Power president and chief executive officer Duncan Hawthorne addressed an audience during a community open house at the Bruce Power Visitors’ Centre on Feb. 12, 2013. Hawthorne, who reported on a banner year for Bruce Power, offered criticism of the National Waste Management Organization’s handling of the adaptive phased management project for used nuclear fuel.
By Sarah Sutter, Kincardine News
Wednesday, February 13, 20132:55:36 EST PM
Bruce Power president and chief executive officer Duncan Hawthorne had critical words for the Nuclear Waste Management Organization’s (NWMO) handling of the proposed deep geological repository (DGR).
Speaking in response to a citizen’s question about why two DGRs are needed, Hawthorne said people are getting confused with the difference between Ontario Power Generation’s project for low and intermediate level nuclear waste at the Bruce site and the adaptive phased management project for used nuclear fuel being evaluated in other Bruce County communities.
John Mann, a Saugeen Shores resident who had questioned local government on why low and intermediate level waste would be housed separately from spent nuclear fuel, asked Hawthorne for his opinion on the plans during an open house at the Bruce Power Vistors’ Centre on Feb. 12.
“I wouldn’t do it that way if it was me,” Hawthorne replied. “If this isn’t handled well, it impacts us in a negative way.”
Hawthorne added he had been in touch with NWMO officials and sent them a letter outlining his concerns. Among them was his belief residents of potential host communities are unable to differentiate between the plans for two DGRs.
“You’ve confused the whole community,” Hawthorne said he had written to the NWMO. “We’re looking at something that’s 125 years from now. Go away for a decade.”
Hawthorne also said he believed the NWMO has been in talks with willing host communities who have no chance of being a real candidate to host the spent nuclear fuel.
“The NWMO want to demonstrate they can find willing host communities,” he said, adding the organization is “making everyone nervous.”
Move comes on heels of plan to transport toxic brew to South Carolina site
By IAN MACLEOD, Ottawa CitizenFebruary 13, 2013 8:09 AM
Highly radioactive nuclear reactor fuel rods are to be clandestinely shipped by road from Chalk River to the United States under a non-proliferation effort to rid the Upper Ottawa Valley site of bomb-grade uranium.
News of the spent fuel shipment follows a Citizen report Monday about separate preparations to transport a lethal brew of liquid weapons-grade uranium by armed convoy through Eastern Ontario to a South Carolina reprocessing site. It will be converted at the Savannah River Site into a form unusable for bomb-making.
Federal law prohibits officials from releasing details of the plans, including routing, timing and the number of transport truck trips planned.
As well, a 2011 federal government memo says the Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission (CNSC) considers it unnecessary to hold public sessions that would allow citizens to ask questions and comment on the highly enriched uranium (HEU) repatriations to the U.S. The CNSC declined to comment on the memo Tuesday.
Documents from the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission say an “expedited” approval is being sought for transport of the liquid HEU. It is believed to be the first time such a highly radioactive solution has been transported by road in North America and, according to U.S. commission documents, could happen as early as August.
Liquid nuclear waste containing bomb-grade highly enriched uranium would be trucked from Canada for disposal at Savannah River Site under a first-of-its-kind proposal under development by the National Nuclear Security Administration and other agencies.
The Augusta Chronicle
February 12, 2013 8:20 PM EST
The material from Atomic Energy Canada Limited’s Chalk River Laboratory is part of a nonproliferation effort aimed at recovering U.S. origin highly enriched uranium distributed to research facilities in other countries. SRS confirmed at a recent citizens advisory board meeting that planning for such a shipment is underway.
The Canadian lab has used this uranium for decades to produce molybdenum-99, a source of technetium used medical diagnostic procedures. The process involves dissolving targets in acid, which yields a highly radioactive waste that contains residual highly enriched uranium.
Transporting highly radioactive liquid waste has never been attempted, according to environmental groups who are seeking an environmental impact study before the material can be moved.
“This proposed shipment of liquid high-level waste appears to be unprecedented,” said Tom Clements, the southeastern nuclear campaign coordinator for Friends of the Earth.