Archive for July, 2016
The Nuclear Waste Management Organization (NWMO) is looking for public comment on its draft plan of action for the next five years.
The NWMO is planning to spend nearly $23-billion to stash high level nuclear waste underground in a deep geologic repository.
The organization has narrowed down a list of possible sites from 21 to nine, including South Bruce, Huron Kinloss, and Central Huron.
The “Implementing Adaptive Phased Management 2017 to 2021 Draft” lays out the next five years of work.
READ FULL STORY
By Janice MacKay, Blackburnnews.com, July 28, 2016 3:43pm, as posted at http://blackburnnews.com/midwestern-ontario/midwestern-ontario-news/2016/07/28/new-document-lays-site-selection-process-nuclear-waste/
Blackburn News, July 27 | A concerned participant in the process to build a deep Geologic Repository (DGR) at Bruce Power is amazed with Environment Minister Catherine McKenna’s response to a plan by Ontario Power Generation (OPG) to look at other sites for nuclear waste burial.
In February, McKenna ordered OPG to look at alternate sites before burying low and medium level nuclear waste underground in Kincardine near Lake Huron.
In April, OPG responded to the Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency with a plan to look at other sites through computer simulations, instead of through actual site studies.
Port Elgin Lawyer John Mann says this month, McKenna told Northwatch OPG will file it’s response to her request for additional information by the end of the year, and she will then plan the next step.
Mann says it is astonishing and inexplicable that McKenna will not respond to OPG’s express requests in April for confirmation that their plan will meet the Ministers Order. Mann adds computer simulations clearly do not meet the order, when Kincardine studies took ten years.
READ FULL STORY
By Janice MacKay, Blackburnnews.com July 27, 2016 2:31pm, as posted at https://blackburnnews.com/midwestern-ontario/midwestern-ontario-news/2016/07/27/concerned-citizen-calls-opg-nuclear-waste-studies-sham/
Northumberland News, To the editor
Re: Port Hope misused $10-million low-level radioactive waste fund, court concludes – published July 12, 2016
The largest historic low-level radioactive waste cleanup in Canadian history will soon begin on hundreds of sites around Port Hope and moved to the corner of town where it will be stored, forever.
In 2001, the Canadian government agreed to pay Port Hope, the former Hope Township, and Clarington a $10-million grant each for agreeing to be a host community for historic low-level radioactive waste.
A recent Ontario Superior Court decision posed many questions and demanded clarity from municipal lawyers. In addition, an outdated 2001 legal agreement needs to be revised or rewritten — especially when it was originally signed by the Canadian government after the Town and Township of Hope (Wards 1 and 2) had already amalgamated. The legality of an agreement into perpetuity is also questioned.
The agreement required the nuclear waste be kept in permanent storage. The lifetime of stored radioactive waste spans multiple generations and tens of thousands of years — especially the highly deadly K-65 residues (none LLRW) from uranium ores refined in Port Hope for the U.S.-led Manhattan Project during the Second World War and world’s first atomic bombs.
The $10-million hosting fee to Ward 2 was a bargain for the Canadian government — especially if and when a future cleanup is needed. The previous nuclear dump located on the same site next to a wetland was forced to shut down due to leaching contamination. A new cleanup could run into billions of dollars later — who will pay?
There is no other permanent nuclear storage facility available. Almost nothing man-made lasts forever. After 300 years when the federal government has left town, what compensation will be paid to future generations inheriting the legacy of hosting and monitoring a deadly giant radioactive mound of aged cells built into the municipal landscape and, perhaps, Canada’s biggest LLRW nuclear dumpsite?
Historic wrongs should be made right and not perpetuated into the future.
New Mexico’s nuclear waste repository has requested that the state approve changes to its permit that
will clear the way for it to reopen more than two years after it closed down due to fire and radiation
The Waste Isolation Pilot Plant outside Carlsbad has asked the state Environment Department to sign off
on permit modifications having to do with ventilation in the underground repository and changes to its
contingency plans in the event of another emergency.
WIPP has spent the past two years trying to recover from two separate events in February 2014: a fire on
a salt haul truck and the bursting of a drum of nuclear waste that contaminated the underground facility
with radiation.Cleaning up the repository has been a unique challenge, given that WIPP’s enormous
waste disposal rooms are mined from ancient salt beds 2,150 feet below the surface.
WIPP is asking the Environment Department to drop a requirement in its hazardous waste facility permit
that requires waste disposal rooms to have a ventilation rate of at least 35,000 cubic feet of air per minute
when workers are present. WIPP is asking for the flexibility to implement its own safety measures when
the ventilation rate falls.
Ventilation has been a challenge ever since the radiation release contaminated a key exhaust shaft,
forcing the facility to run its air system in filtration mode, meaning far less air can be pulled in from the
surface and circulated underground than before. Ventilation rates are a seventh of what they were before
the 2014 incident.
Don Hancock, a longtime and frequent WIPP critic, said the ventilation requirement is meant to protect
workers from volatile organic compounds, or VOCs – colorless, odorless chemicals that can be harmful
when inhaled. VOCs are vented from drums of nuclear waste so they don’t cause potentially explosive
buildup; also, running diesel equipment underground produces VOCs in vehicle exhaust.
Under the modification requested, “The permit goes from having a strict regulatory requirement to
essentially having no real measure to determine whether it’s OK or not,” Hancock said. “They are
getting out of any ventilation requirements in the active disposal rooms, which means they are
READ FULL STORY
By Lauren Villagran / Journal Staff Writer – Las Cruces Bureau, Albuquerque Journal, Published: Sunday, July 17th, 2016 at 12:02am as posted at http://www.abqjournal.com/809287/wipp-seeks-permit-changes-ahead-of-reopening.html
“Spent Nuclear Fuel Dry Storage Casks, Update 2016 – Global Market Size, Market Volume, Market Share and Key Country Analysis to 2020” provides detailed information on the use of dry casks for the storage of SNF, and provides an in-depth analysis of the global and regional markets, as well as the individual markets of 12 major countries. The report analyzes the annual market size, volume of dry storage cask additions, and market share of the key manufacturers that supply dry storage casks.
The US and Canada were market leaders for dry storage casks in 2015, with 167 and 216 casks supplied, respectively. The US and Canada had a 62% share of the total number of casks supplied globally. Russia was third with 52 casks, accounting for around 8.4% of casks supplied globally, while other countries held a 19.6% combined share. Germany and Japan held 6% and 3.9% of the market share, respectively. Some of other key countries, such as Spain, China, South Korea and Belgium, held a market share of 2-5%.
The American region generated the largest amount of demand for dry casks for spent nuclear fuel between 2010 and 2015. Demand is expected to further increase during the forecast period 2016 to 2020, as more reactors are expected to come online. The second-largest amount of demand for dry casks was registered in Europe, and the market in this region is expected to register substantial growth during the forecast period. Asia-Pacific has observed significant growth in its nuclear power-generating capacity since 2010 and has scope for the dry storage cask market in the forecast period.
The report includes:
An in-depth analysis of the SNF dry storage cask market of the global and regional markets including 12 major countries such as the US, Canada, Germany, Russia, Spain, the UK, Belgium, Ukraine, China, India, Japan, and South Korea.
Covering market size for the period from 2010 to 2020 of SNF dry storage casks market.
Market share of players/leading players for SNF dry storage casks market in 2015.
It discusses the key drivers and restraints impacting the SNF dry storage casks market at global and country level.
The report analyses SNF dry storage cask market. Its scope includes –
– An in-depth analysis of the SNF dry storage cask market of the global and regional markets including 12 major countries such as the US, Canada, Germany, Russia, Spain, the UK, Belgium, Ukraine, China, India, Japan, and South Korea.
– Covering market size for the period from 2010 to 2020 of SNF dry storage casks market.
– Market share of players/leading players for SNF dry storage casks market in 2015.
– It discusses the key drivers and restraints impacting the SNF dry storage casks market at global and country level.
As posted at http://finance.yahoo.com/news/spent-nuclear-fuel-dry-storage-171400245.html, Dateline PUNE , India, July 12, 2016 /PRNewswire-iReach/. Note that the report is produced by the private sector for commercial purposes and a single copy PDF of the full report sells for $3,995 US
Kyodo, Japan – The Cabinet Office said it will soon start distributing iodine jelly to infants living within 30 km of nuclear power plants in a bid to protect their thyroids from possible radiation exposure in the event of a nuclear disaster.
According to the office, about 110,000 infants qualify for the iodine jellies.
There are 21 prefectures where the 30-km radius applies. In addition, infants living within three other prefectures — Kanagawa, Osaka and Okayama — which have nuclear fuel processing facilities are also part of the initiative.
Some local governments have been distributing iodine tablets to all residents for over three years, including in a tablet form for infants that would have to be crushed and mixed with syrup in the event of an accident. But to date this had not been in an iodine jelly form.
The local governments will receive about 300,000 packages, starting as early as this fall, which have a shelf life of three years, the Cabinet Office said.
There are two types of iodine jelly: one for babies under 1 month old and another for those over 1 month and up to 3 years.
Taking the jelly or tablets is supposed to stop the thyroid glands from absorbing iodine contained in radiation in the event of a nuclear disaster, as iodine tends to accumulate in the thyroid.
SPOKANE, Wash. (AP) — Two more employees have reported possible exposure to chemical vapors on the Hanford Nuclear Reservation — even as workers engaged in a job action to demand better protection from such fumes.
The two workers were given medical evaluations Tuesday and cleared to return to work, according to Washington River Protection Solutions, a private contractor that manages a section of the reservation where nuclear waste is buried in underground tanks.
It brought the number of workers receiving medical checks for possible chemical vapor exposure to about 55 in recent months.
Dave Molnaa, president of the Hanford Atomic Metal Trades Council, talks to reporters, Monday, July 11, 2016 in Richland, Wash. A coalition of labor unions on the Hanford Nuclear Reservation in Washington state stopped work Monday at some radioactive waste tank farms because of health concerns over chemical vapors. The Hanford Atomic Metal Trades Council issued a “stop work” order at the double-walled tanks that contain dangerous wastes from the past production of plutonium for nuclear weapons. (AP Photo/Ted S. Warren)
Some of the workers have reported respiratory problems, and others smelled a chemical odor. All were cleared to return to work, the contractor said.
The latest reports of possible exposure came just a day after the Hanford Atomic Metal Trades Council issued a stop work order on Monday to demand greater protections for workers who deal with underground nuclear waste storage tanks. The council is comprised of unions that represent Hanford workers.
The order required a halt to any tasks within the boundaries of Hanford tank farms if workers were not being supplied with mandatory air respirators.
Washington River Protection Solutions complied by giving employees the bottled air on Tuesday and work resumed.
Hanford, located near Richland, for decades made plutonium for nuclear weapons, and waste from that work are stored in 177 giant underground tanks.
The government is now engaged in cleaning up the site, a process that will take decades and cost tens of billions of dollars.
The two workers evaluated Tuesday were outside the tank farm boundaries when they reported smelling chemical vapors, the contractor said, noting that samples showed air quality was compliant with safety standards.
Officials at the trade council contend that workers have been sickened by the vapors, reporting symptoms like headaches and bloody noses. The group contends the problems go back for two decades.
The vapors aren’t radioactive and are invisible to the eye. They are suspected of escaping some tanks when the contents are disturbed during cleanup activities.
Last month, the council demanded that air respirators be required for work in all tank farms. The contractor denied the demand, saying the equipment was not needed for routine work among newer double-walled tanks that do not vent passively into the environment.
By Associated Press. Published: 17:34 GMT, 13 July 2016 | Updated: 17:35 GMT, 13 July 2016
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/ap/article-3688831/2-workers-report-possible-vapor-exposure-nuke-site.html#ixzz4ENvm0MhG