Flin Flon city council plans to accept $250K gift (August 2015)

Flin Flon city council is planning a motion to accept a quarter of a million dollars for community projects. Nuclear Waste Management Organization recently announced that Flin Flon, Creighton and Denare Beach would each receive $250,000 in recognition of their work with NWMO. City council must carry a motion to accept the funds and agree to abide by the criteria for how it is spent. The money must go toward a beneficial community project and cannot simply be put into general coffers. Council was expected to pass that motion as early as last Tuesday, August 4, but Mayor Cal Huntley said that due to a staff absence, the resolution was not ready. Huntley reiterated council’s appreciation to NWMO, which worked with area communities as it examined land outside Creighton as a possible site for nuclear-waste storage. In March, NWMO declared Creighton’s geology was unsuitable for the project.

Flin Flon Reminder – August 13, 2015

Read story at: http://www.thereminder.ca/news/local-news/flin-flon-city-council-plans-to-accept-250k-gift-1.2028363#sthash.nGPFB9E2.dpuf

French nuclear waste plan irks Germans near site (August 2015)

France wants to build a permanent nuclear waste storage facility not far from the German border. The plan has irked many in the region, but the government in Berlin sees no need for action.

Nuclear power plants produce radioactive waste, which emits radiation for thousands of years. Even Germany, which is set to phase out nuclear power, is looking for a final repository for its spent nuclear fuel, but has not yet decided on the location. Finding a geologically suitable site is not the problem, but rather, the protests over the location. Nobody wants to live with a nuclear waste dump at their doorstep.

For many decades, France has focused and relied on nuclear power, and now, plant operators are under pressure to find repositories for the radioactive waste.

The French government seems to have its sights set on Bure, a town in eastern France, around 120 kilometers (74 miles) from the German border. There, scientists have spent years investigating whether highly and moderately radioactive waste can be disposed of 500 meters underground. ANDRA, the French national agency for radioactive waste, believes that Bure offers what a repository requires: Nuclear waste can be stored there for 100 years; then, the site can be closed off and ultimately, the nuclear waste can decay there for 100,000 years until the radiation no longer poses a threat to humans.

‘Unbearable coup’

Opponents of the site feel less bothered by the repository itself then by the decision-making process that led to choosing it. In mid-July, the government added a last minute clause to a legislative package promoting business development but did not hold a debate or vote in parliament. And since no other potential nuclear waste sites have been explored in France, critics believe that the Bure location was practically predetermined. The Green party group in the French national assembly calls the procedure an “unbearable coup,” while the nation’s nuclear regulatory body and the French Institute for Radiological Protection and Reactor Safety (IRSN) have expressed “numerous reservations” about the plans.

Read more of “French nuclear waste plan irks Germans near site | Europe | DW.COM | 04.08.2015” at http://www.dw.com/en/french-nuclear-waste-plan-irks-germans-near-site/a-18627896

WIPP will not meet target opening date of March 2016 (August 2015)

New date evaluated based on radiation leak last year

CARLSBAD>> The Waste Isolation Pilot Plant’s anticipated opening date of March 2016 has been pushed back, WIPP officials said, due to a series of bumps in the recovering process.

A change in Department of Energy’s standards, damage to a key piece of equipment and review of recommendations by the Accident Investigation Board for implementation all played a key role in the decision, which was announced on Friday.

The plant had been closed since a radiation leak was detected in February 2014, and a new opening date is being evaluated based on those challenges.

“We are disappointed that we will not meet the original target date for beginning waste emplacement, but (we) do not want to lose sight of the substantial progress that has been made in the recovery of the WIPP site, including great strides in mine stabilization, radiological risk mitigation and the closure of Panel 6 and Panel 7 Room 7, all of which have significantly increased safety in the underground,” said acting Carlsbad Field Office Manager Dana Bryson in the release.

By Jessica Onsurez and Maddy Hayden

Carlsbad Current Argus jonsurez@currentargus.com; mahayden@currentargus.com

Posted:   07/31/2015 11:08:32 PM MDT

The opening of an underground nuclear waste dump in New Mexico just got delayed indefinitely (August 2015)

%d bloggers like this: