Premier Asked To Cancel Proposed Nuclear Waste Burial At Bruce Power (May 2015)

Kincardine – One hundred public interest groups have written an open letter calling on the Ontario Government to direct Ontario Power Generation to withdraw the plan to bury nuclear waste at the Bruce Power site on Lake Huron.

The provincial government is the sole shareholder of OPG.

The authors of the open letter call the plan to bury radioactive waste in limestone deep underground, flawed. A federally appointed Joint Review Panel last week recommended the project go ahead. The letter points out that there are still too many unknowns in the design of the Deep Geologic Repository for low and medium level radioactive waste. It says no one has been able to calculate the rates of gas produced from deteriorating metals, when gas can create pressure that can cause fracturing. The authors also point out the the only other operating example of this type of storage facility is now closed following a fire and the release of radioactivity to the surface.

Bruce Power neighbour Eugene Bourgeois claims the federally appointed Joint Review Panel has teamed up with the nuclear industry to rush ahead with unproven technology.

There are layers on layers of dishonesty at play here. This federal panel has now teamed up with the nuclear industry to rush ahead with unproven technologies to bury wastes OPG claims are being safely managed where they are, and to continue to ignore some of the most vulnerable and most hazardous wastes, like AECLs shut-down reactor at Douglas Point, says Bourgeois.

Radioactive waste specialist Kevin Kamps of the U.S. based group, Beyond Nuclear, says it makes no sense to bury the waste out of reach in hopes to keep the radiation isolated for hundreds of thousands of years. He claims the federal panel accepted Ontario Power Generations testimony that Lake Huron would be large enough to dilute radioactive wastes if they leaked from the repository.

That a federal hearing panel would accept using the Great Lakes for the dilution of radioactive pollution as a solution to the industrys waste management problems robs their report of any credibility, says Kamps.

The authors of the letter point out that OPG plans to double the original amount of 200,000 cubic metres of radioactive wastes to be stored there, and will seek an amendment to include wastes like radioactive reactor components and contaminated building material.

Click here to read: An_Open_Letter_to_the_Government_of_Ontario_15May2014_OPG_DGR

By Janice MacKay on May 14, 2015 12:17pm, as posted at http://blackburnnews.com/london/2015/05/14/100-groups-call-on-premier-to-cancel-proposed-nuclear-waste-burial-site-at-bruce-power/

Advertisements
%d bloggers like this: